Saturday, May 23, 2009

Topic 2: More thoughts on TL role

Whilst it is interesting to read the various interpretations of a TL's role description and try and make sense of the enormity of the role both in terms of ability to manage, lead and teach. For me at this point in my journey my focus is to find a workable way to collaborate proactively with the subject teachers to inform, support and enrich the curriculum resources they are currently using. As we are all discovering this is no easy feat, however, after reading Henri's article and in particular Kuhlthau's identifiable inhibitors it clarified for me where my immediate attention must be directed. Ultimately I am a teacher first and this colors my view of my role as a TL. My goal is to continue to initiate, instigate and develop programs that teachers can also use whilst they are in the library and not in isolation. Ultimately this has not been easy as I have taken on the position as TL in a school that has a dated view of how a library should operate and with very little knowledge or initiative to incorporate new ideas and programs -not to mention severely understaffed. My challenges are many, however, I would like to think that I can build upon my skillbase and then tackle the management, leadership and ICT developments that will invariably require continual attention. It is in this light that I would like to make the most impact in guiding an information literate school community. In fact today whilst assisting a History teacher with selection of resources I was paid a compliment- she said " you must have been a teacher first, it shows". This helped to allay my feelings of frustration and overwhelmness as I realised that my contributions are slowly making an impact. Now for the other hurdles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

love them books

love them books
Mastering the art of reading!

About Me

I am married with two children. We all have distinct and diverse interests which makes for a very busy household. My family has been extremely supportive of my return to study and I am grateful for this. The demands of a full time job and a busy family life don't always coexist in perfect harmony which at times causes me to reflect on my course for personal and professional fullfilment.